Job Title: Native Plant Restoration Assistant
Wild Woods Restoration Project is a young, growing nonprofit. We organize volunteers to grow native plants and install restoration plantings at local parks. We source our seed locally and work to preserve local wild plant populations. By involving volunteers in our work, we seek to inspire a passion for stewardship of our forests. We value sustainability, diversity, collaboration and integrity. We have been an all-volunteer organization to this point, and this position will be our first employee. We’re looking for someone who is excited about our mission and shares our values to help us continue to develop the organization.
You will work closely with the Wild Woods president to run the plant nursery and work with volunteers. You will work in all aspects of the nursery operation including seed collection, seed sowing, potting up seedlings, caring for plants and planting in restoration sites. You will assist with preparing and conducting volunteer workshops. You will also track plant inventory and volunteer time in our databases. You may also assist with social media posts and development of volunteer training materials. Learn more about our organization at https://wildwoodsrestorationproject.org
Term: May 15 – November 1, up to 36 hours per week.
Location: Salisbury Mills, NY
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Occasional lifting of up to 40 lbs
- Frequent bending and squatting to work with plants
- Work outdoors
- Some weekend work will be required
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Travel using personal vehicle to sites across the Hudson valley and northern New Jersey
- Pre-tax hourly wage of $17-$20, depending on experience
- Reimbursement for work-related travel using personal vehicle
- Previous experience leading volunteers
- Knowledge of native plants of the northeastern U.S.
- Previous outdoor work experience
Please send a one-page resume and a cover letter highlighting your relevant experiences and qualifications and why you are interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday February 26, 2024 12:00 PM Eastern.